Sunday, November 11, 2007


Week in Review

I subbed all week - mornings in kindergarten and afternoons at the middle school with fifteen minutes to get from one school to the other. The kindergarten crowd was the same one mentioned in an earlier post - the one that doubts my competency. Those kids even questioned the way I put stickers up on a chart. Hmmmm - It just didn't look quite right to them.



Bob's dad is in the hospital in St. Louis, and he spent most of the week there. Stormy and Nick put their house on the market because they are moving to Philadelphia.

Elections

This past week local elections were held. This got me to thinking back, again, to my childhood and my days as a student at Funkhouser Grade School. If you went to Funkhouser, you either rode Nobe's bus or Joe's bus. I don't know what they did on Nobe's bus, but on Joe's bus we would engage in sparkling political debate - maybe not sparkling, exactly, more like republicans would sit on one side of the bus and democrats, the other. We didn't really debate issues, we mostly just shouted back and forth across the aisle that we were best, and our side was right. (kinda like real politics in Washington).


Our debates weren't always about politics. Sometimes they would be about which kind of tractor was superior. John Deere people were on one side, Farmall, International, and everybody else on the other - again, shouting about which tractor was best. I can still hear this one kid enthusiastically chiming in "Allis Chalmers" at periodic intervals. ( You know, when I think about it, I believe the republicans owned all the John Deere's).


Our bus route wound around in the country and went past a gravel road that led back into the woods to the Jackson Township Hall. I voted there for the first time in 1976. It was also a popular place to park.


One night, I was in bed and looking out my window, doing my nightly UFO check, and I saw a man walking up our driveway. I alerted the authorities who checked it out. It was my cousin. He had been parking at the town hall with his girlfriend and was out of gas. He had walked the three or four miles to our house and had been chased by somebody's dog and everything.


All I could think about was his poor girlfriend and how I wouldn't want some guy to go off and leave me alone in the car in those woods at night. I would rather be chased by the dog.

No Sunday Supper this Week

With Bob away again, there was no candlelight supper tonight. For those of you who knew that I was trying out the recipe for the 7 cheese macaroni and cheese, I have to report that it was a bit disappointing. The recipe called for about 12 cups of 7 different cheeses, a dozen eggs, and six cups of half and half. I made it, but I was not impressed.


I will share with you my recipe for meatballs. Like the carrot cake, this recipe came from my friend, Jana. I have shared it with many Hoosiers over the years, and I have to say that I think because of this meatball recipe, Indiana is a better place to live, (seriously) so here it is, along with some pics from Lindsey and Brent's wedding this summer.









The families

Rob and Candace before the wedding and the beautiful bride
















The Best Meatballs on the Face of the EARTH..earth...earth

3 lbs ground beef
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups oats
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Sauce:
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder

Mix ingredients for meatballs. Roll into balls and place in a baking dish. Prepare sauce and pour over the meatballs. Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. Yummy!

If it weren't for Brett Favre, this would have been one clunky weekend.
Thanks Brett!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I enjoy reading your blog...it cracks me up! Sorry I am slacking on my blog updates. I feel pressure now that I know you look at it! I love the pics of Landon...he is the cutest boy ever!