Sunday, December 16, 2007


Last Two Weeks in Review: Well, subbing, of course - 7th grade one week and sixth grade for a couple of days last week. There is no school today because of the ten inches of snow we received Saturday night, so there were no phone calls at 5:00 AM. I had a few Christmas parties/meetings - Common Grace, Tri Kappa, and Tuesday Club. Bob was on vacation last week. I made him watch the movie, Waitress, with me. He said he liked it, but I doubt that he liked it as much as I did. We got a new Jeep on Thursday. It has a rear backup camera, which is very distracting and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sideswipe something because I'm looking at my camera.


Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog's Christmas Do


Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog is as quiet as a church mouse on the car ride to the groomer's, but she barks her fool head off on the way home and bites at passing cars and trucks. There was a big puddle in the driveway at Champs and Tramps, so when I picked her up, I thought I'd better carry her to the Jeep to keep her from getting muddy, because, after all, I just paid fifty dollars to have her looking so spiffy. I took my dark coat off and put it in the back seat, so I wouldn't get dog hair all over me. I deposited her into the passenger side and started down the road, and what did she do? That's right. She jumped into the backseat on top of my coat and wallered it around. I was driving with one hand and flailing around trying to get my coat out from under her. Well, here she is, and doesn't she look nice? It took about twenty sheets off the lint-roller to get the hair off my coat.


Nothing spices up the holiday season like a colonoscopy. So, I had one. Bob went with me and was very helpful. He had his eye on the safety-step socks they give to patients - you know, the ones with the no-skid paw prints on the bottom. I told him he could have them. They will not let you leave the Heart Center until you pass some gas. Bob was a real cheerleader in that area. Actually, I didn't want to leave at all, but I didn't know how long you were allowed to just lay there and I didn't want to look like a weenie, so I let them wheel me out to the parking lot. (Sorry, no photos)





Landon and his dad. Don't cry. The team won!

(actually, he's probably distressed just thinking about poor Aunt Lou's colonoscopy)

On Tuesday, Stormy and I are going to Indianapolis to pick up Adam at the airport. On Friday night, the Gin Blossoms will be playing at the Rose Bud Theatre in Effingham. Several of us have tickets for that performance. We'll have Christmas at Maw-Maw's on Saturday with my family. We're planning to go caroling and I'm taking my Christmas kazoo along. We'll spend Sunday with Bob and Darlene and then plan to be back home for Chistmas Eve.

This past weekend, I made gingerbread men to give to the ladies (and gentleman) in my YMCA step-aerobic's class. I put a hole through the head and attached a gold cord so it can be used as an ornament. I usually just make my gingies straddle the banister garland, as pictured here.



Gingerbread Men


1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup molasses
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large eggs
8 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the gingerbread men, I make a paper pattern and then just cut around it with a knife. Use a straw for the eyes and buttons. After you bake them you paint the eyes and heart and then cover with Modge Podge to seal.





Bob, Rob, Maddie, and me as internet elves. Rob is a little blurry here, but I'm sure he won't mind at all.

Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year? That's right,

Brett Favre!

Ummm-hmmm

No comments: