Sunday, September 7, 2008

From the Archives: Let's start with an old picture of Bob. What a cherub he was in his 1954 Easter suit and jaunty little cap! Monday, September 8th, is his birthday. Bob was born in 1952. Also turning 56 this year are:




















Warren 'Potsie' Weber from Happy Days - Anson Williams













Mr. Potato Head



















and PEZ















Musings: When you walk into your laundry room and find a spider in your sink, do you:


A. Find something to fish him out of there with and set him outside?


B. Ignore him - no way can he run up the side of that sink and attack you


C. Turn on the water?



Generally, I find myself doing C. I'll watch him swirl around a couple of times, but then when his little legs crumple up, I start to feel sorry for him, so I might turn off the water - you know - give him a second chance. Usually, it's too late, and I feel like a bad person.
Do you remember the statistic that was being thrown around a few years ago about the number of spiders people swallow in their sleep each year? I can't remember if it's 4 or 8 - and it doesn't really matter, because either one is way too many spiders. It's just not possible. That many spiders are charging into people's mouths - like lemmings over a cliff? I don't think so. A spider crawling around on your face would tickle - you would brush it away, and somebody, somewhere would wake up, look in the mirror, and notice a spider leg lodged between his teeth. I have never heard of that happening.

Bob is a real advocate for the spider. He sings the praises of the spider and his usefulness to mankind. He doesn't want me to knock any spider webs down.

"Think of how many bugs that spider will eat," he'll say.
"Maybe, but this is not 1313 Mockingbird Lane, and I cannot decorate with cobwebs," I'll say.


Yeah, Bob's a real cheerleader for the spider. He's going to be pretty disappointed when he reads this and realizes that I've been drowning them behind his back, for pure sport.


I've been working on a few projects around here:


Took down the textured wallpaper in the entry and hallways and painted with a color called "potato soup," and re-stained this little pipe cabinet. Also had the rugs cleaned and shampooed the carpets and.....


enlarged this flower bed in the backyard.


Bob's Birthday Dinner - In honor of Bob and his birthday, we had his favorite, eggplant Parmesan for supper Sunday night. I also made a potato shitake mushroom gratin that is wonderful, and I'll post that recipe next week. But the recipe of this week is for Bob's favorite birthday dessert, Chocolate Ecstasy.



Chocolate Ecstasy

1 - 21 1/2 oz package brownie mix

2 (2-oz) packages chocolate mousse mix

1/3 cup coffee liqueur

1- 12 oz Cool Whip

1 package Heath Bar bits

1 cup chopped pecans



Prepare brownie mix according to directions. Cool, then using a toothpick, poke some holes in the brownies and pour the liqueur over the top. Prepare the mousse according to the directions. In the bottom of a trifle bowl, place about half of the brownies, then half of the mousse, half of the Cool Whip and sprinkle with half of the Heath bits and pecans. Repeat the layering process. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for several hours.



"If I was being executed by injection, I'd clean up my cell real neat. Then, when they came to get me, I'd say 'injection? I thought you said inspection.' They'd probably feel real bad, and maybe I could get out of it."
Jack Handey

1 comment:

ashley said...

definitely C. however...that's only because it's in the sink. the real question is what to do when you find one on the floor. in which case my answer is usually yell for the husband to come take care of the spider...because as i tell my husband..."that's a boy job."