Monday, June 28, 2010



"These are the daylillies of our lives." I grow fonder every year of my daylillies. They make me want to plant more and more of them. Although, I guess, I like all the the flowers. I refuse to plant gladiolas, though, as they tend to remind me of funerals, and you have to dig the bulbs up (right?) and frankly, I don't think they would be worth that effort.







Here's the whole flowerbed in the front of the house near the road. I REALLY need to do some work out here. One problem is that there are tiny oak trees growing in here, courtesy of our squirrel friends, and my husband is hell-bent on nurturing them. I pull them out when I think he won't notice. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about oak tree nurturing, but I have my own ideas about where they should grow and where they should not grow.

I like daylillies, but here are three things I don't like:

1. Being without electricity - which we were from Wednesday night until Friday noon - and then off again for a couple more hours. It seems that us, thirty-two poor schmucks hooked up to this one particularly faulty (voodoo cursed) grid are always the first to lose power, and maybe, (but can't be sure) the last to get power restored. A sub-annoyance in this category would be having to sleep with your windows open, listening to the loud generators that your neighbors all ran out and purchased.

2. Getting old lady shoe catalogs called "FootSmart" in the mail - featuring Orthaheel, Podiatrist-designed for heel pain relief. I just plain don't want them coming here.

3. That loud humming noise at World Cup 2010. It makes me think there's a hornet's nest nearby. It's unnerving and irritating. I simply cannot stand it.

I guess I'm done.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Day lilies are my favorite, too. I like to cut them in bring them in so I can look at them more...what's the harm in that since they only last a day right? Plus all those colors look so nice in my kitchen! They're begging to come in!

Also I sympathize with all of your dislikes. I'm holding in a rant of a blog myself...trying not to let it out. Especially since I just published that the zoo "sucked." Don't want to seem like that kind of a person. :)

Haven't forgotten about that french toast casserole recipe. But it's quiet here now until 8:00 and I'm going to try to finish up some real work...something I don't do that often as of late.