Sunday, July 11, 2010

All My Saplings. A couple of posts ago, I complained some about Bob's campaign to replenish the forest by nurturing every little seedling that manages to take root in our yard, no matter where it might choose to call home. If it happens to be a flower bed, well, I'm supposed to leave it alone. If it happens to sprout in the yard, he protects it with some black plastic tubing, and I'm supposed to mow around it. Here are some of Bob's children. This first one is at the edge of the garden. Bob says it's going to have a beautiful shape when it grows up. Hi Maddie. She decided to pose here without even being asked.




This is a beech tree that will replace the one we had to cut down in order to add on the dining room. Umm, that's my finger in the shot. Sorry












This one is is marked by a couple of green sticks that alert whoever might be mowing or trimming to "back off!"








This one is in the middle of my flower bed and I have to let it grow there, but I don't know why or for how long.






This is the small elm that we have to let grow because it will replace the big Happy-Face Elm, should it ever decide to keel over.












I have no idea what the heck is going on here, but I have to mow around it.















And finally, the piece de la resistance. I like to call this oak tree, "Bob Junior," who began as just an acorn. Bob has been encouraging and nurturing Junior along for some ten years. (again, with the finger at the top) Sorry.











These are also Bob's saplings: Kacey, Lindsey, and Rob.
















My Disturbing Church Directory Story: Yesterday Bob and I had our picture taken for the church directory and the young lady photographer encouraged us to celebrate our upcoming 30th anniversary by buying a special three picture set in a frame that featured the two us in the center and individual shots on each side. She said it would be a good idea for us to have some individual pictures taken that could be used as obituary shots, if needed!!!!!!!

Yes, you heard me correctly. Well, I admit I was shocked at first, but Bob and I, we looked at each other like that was a perfectly reasonable thing to do and we bought the *@#!!! thing. Can't wait to get it. As I told my Facebook Friends, last week's insult of finding a sensible footwear catalog in the mailbox pales in comparison to this week's recommendation that we get ourselves some obituary pictures ready in the desk drawer.




Tip of the Week from my Farmer's Almanac Calendar:


To climb a coconut tree, place one hand high on the back of the trunk and the other at chest level on the front of the trunk. Put your bare feet on the trunk, one on each side, frog-legged. Push on the trunk with hands and feet and lift your body up. Get back into frog position and start again. (sounds simple enough) PRACTICE CLOSE TO THE GROUND!

No comments: