Sunday, October 21, 2007





Week in Review:

I put the witch's hat on our squirrel this week - a sure sign that Halloween is just around the corner. I did some more subbing at the middle school and went to the dentist. At one point during the visit, my dentist said to his assistant, "Hand me the Explorer." When I got the opportunity to speak, I told them both that they needn't try to protect me by calling it "The Explorer." I saw it, after all, and it was clearly an ice pick.

They then proceeded to to tell me other benign terms they used in an effort to keep the patient relaxed (and off-guard). A tooth is "wiggled" out - never pulled or yanked, and instead of being numbed, the tooth is now "soaked." It's very thoughtful of them to use these more palatable words that keep us calm in the chair. However, FYI, dear readers, any time your dentist starts asking for instruments that sound like they're used to hunt for stuff, like "The Seeker," or "The Voyager," or "The Big Stainless Steel Inspector," - trust me, you're going to be on the receiving end of something pointy.


And...

Glitter on the Highway
Glitter around Bixler Lake
Love Walk, Baby, Love Walk
'Talkin' about the Love Walk

Yes, the week ended with the annual Common Grace Love Walk. Here is a picture of the group before the walk began. Our bagpiper did, indeed, add some zest to the event. The weather was wonderful and we were able to raise some much-needed funds to help the needy.


Sunday Night Candlelight Supper

There wasn't one. I know, big disappointment, but Bob was working in Wisconsin, and I can't do it without him because, after all, he is part of the dream. The recipe of the week is for the carrot cake (pictured here) that I took for our post-Love Walk refreshment table. I got this recipe from my good friend, Jana, in 1986, when we both lived in Mt. Vernon, IL. We sang together in the church choir and in a ladies gospel quartet that was called, um, I think all they ever called us was "Our Little Ladies Gospel Quartet." She has a great big soprano voice, and boy, can she cook. Lindsey stayed with her and her family on the night Rob was born. Lindsey got sick and threw up on her bedspread. She was a good friend. I miss her.

Anyway, I've made hundreds, really, hundreds of these carrot cakes. I don't have to look at the recipe, although it's good to have it written down, because, I know that one of these days, I'm going to be standing over the mixing bowl with a box of baking soda in my hand and I'm not going to remember how many teaspoons go into the mix. Scary.


Jana's Carrot Cake
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda (whew, I still got it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three, nine-inch round baking pans with Baker's Joy. Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla, and mix well. In separate bowl, combine dry ingrediants. Add to the first mixture and blend. Add carrots and pecans. Pour mixture into pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes (I don't really know how long - until it's done)
Remove cakes from pans onto cooling rack. Frost and refrigerate.
Frosting
1 stick butter
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Brett and the boys had the week off.
What a win for the Bears!
Effingham Flaming Hearts - the perfect season!

No comments: