Monday, October 1, 2007

Week in Review

Well, I mailed back my summons for jury service form - there's some potential excitement there....so, I got that goin' for me. I subbed for six grade language arts on Tuesday, and the middle school band on Thursday. I was a little anxious about the band gig. As I drove to the school, I thought about how one goes about directing a band. I decided on a lot of arm-flailing and some occasional head nodding toward the woodwinds. I also thought it might be funny if I yelled at them "More cowbell! I need more cowbell!" Fortunately, for everyone, I did not have to do any directing.

The Book Babes met on Wednesday night to discuss the book, An Inconvenient Wife, by Megan Chance. We all liked the book and thought it should be made into a movie. Then, we thought maybe it had already been made into a movie. We're not sure, but we don't think so. I suggested that George Clooney could play the role of the doctor, ( I often suggest George Clooney) but the other Babes thought George looked too perfect to play the part. That night we also celebrated the engagement of our dear friend, Sandy. I forgot to take my camera along or I would post a pic. Maybe next month.
Bob was out on the west coast most of the week, so I've been livin' the dream without him. I did get some new photos of, probably, the most adorable little pumpkin in the state of Illinois, my great-nephew, Landon.










Doggone
Yes, Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog is visiting Lindsey and Brent for a few days. I loaded her up ( along with some vegetable soup I made) and met Lindsey at the Upland/Gas City exit Starbucks. Lindsey had a pumpkin frappacino. She said that if you pulled the straw up and then sucked through the whipped cream and cinnamon, it tasted just like pumpkin pie. Yum. I had the cinnamon dolce latte.

Pictured here are Lindsey with vegetable soup in autumnal Rubbermaid, and Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog. See them driving away from Starbucks? Enjoy, Lindsey!





Sunday Dinner

Since Bob was away, we had to postpone our dinner with Rick and Cathy, so for the recipe of the week, I'll refer back to the Labor Day Weekend dinner we had on Sunday evening, the 2nd of September. Lindsey and Brent were here, and Lindsey's delightful friends, Becca, Laura, and Ashley.

Before dinner we served this delicious dip as an appetizer. This dip is so good, you could serve it with cardboard circles instead of crackers and nobody would even care. This dip is so good, we wanted to lick the baking dish clean. (wait, we might have really done that) It's actually called Warm Swiss Cheese and Bacon Dip and the recipe came from the Vera Bradley Cookbook, but I think, for this blog, we'll call it.......


Dip Good Enough to Serve with Cardboard ( And Nobody Will Care)

8 ounces softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 cup grated Swiss Cheese
1/2 cup bacon bits
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Combine the cream cheese, Swiss cheese, mayo, and green onions in a bowl and mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon bits and almonds. Serve warm on crackers (or cardboard).

You may substitute 1/2 cup of butter cracker crumbs for the almonds.




More yays for the Packers and Brett Favre!
Some yays for the Colts!
And, for you, Lori, big 'ol yays for the Effingham Flaming Hearts - 6 and 0!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I really shouldn't read these at work anymore because my rolling around in the aisle is distracting to my co-worker in the next cubicle over.

P.S. - Where are the YAYs for 5-0 Purdue?? Okay, I'll put that YAY on The Stevenson blog.

LoKo90 said...

Seriously...I am bent over watery-eyed and cackling so loudly that I am disturbing Baleigh's daily devotion to Hannah Montana!
You are truly gifted Sis!

Thanks for the YAY HEARTS!