Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week in Review: So, there wasn't a lot happening on Wednesday, no school and all. I shoveled the driveway (because I don't know how to start the snow blower) then I made this snowman, which seemed to irritate my friends and family members who have real jobs. Please keep in mind that while I was shoveling, Bob was playing golf in Florida, and the week before he was playing golf in Las Vegas, so it's all relative.


The Book Babes also met on Wednesday night at Julia's house. The book was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseine, the author of The Kite Runner. When we got ready to go home, Vicki couldn't find her car keys and I came close to backing into one of the Tipton's big trees trying to maneuver out of the driveway (Vicki was the first car in) Thank goodness I have the backup camera!!!


And speaking of books, I signed up to do Oprah's world-wide online classroom event that will discuss the book, A New Earth. It starts tomorrow night at 9:00 PM. I don't know if I'll get anything out of it or not, but I didn't want to be left out.


It's hard to believe but this Wednesday we will be weighing in on week #9 of our Biggest Loser contest. I'm stuck on a total loss of 11.6 pounds. (I sinned last week with a large bag of Ruffles. How I miss the trans fats!!!) Here's the kicker. One of our anonymous contestants contracted the influenza and lost six pounds last week!!!! How am I going to compete with that??

Sunday night supper was at the Cork and Cleaver, with Nick and Stormy. I baked a couple of apple pies on Saturday. One was for Joe Taylor's birthday and the other was for plain ol' eating. After the Cork we came back to our house and enjoyed the pie. Here's the recipe. Don't forget that the recipe for Opie's No Fail Pie Crust is on my very first blog entry in September.

Grandma's Apple Pie

6 cups peeled, sliced apples (I use Granny Smith)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine apples and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. In another bowl combine sugars, flour, and cinnamon. Pour sugar over apples and mix to coat. Place apples in pastry-lined pie pan and dot with butter.
Cover pie with top layer of pastry, crimping the edges and cutting a slit so steam can escape. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees for another 45 minutes. I like to protect the edges of the crust with aluminum foil so that the crust doesn't get too brown.

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove and it doesn't have that dangerous beak.
Jack Handy

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I think your snowman looks excellent! :-)

LoKo90 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoKo90 said...

That snowman pic is your next Christmas card!