Sunday, July 13, 2008


Week in Review: I filled in for Sally at the Park Department Tuesday through Friday, and it was the second week of my Young Adult Literature class, which meets three nights a week for two hours and twenty minutes without a break to go to the bathroom. That's right. It meets from 5:30 to 7:50 PM and after two hours, my stomach starts to growl. Also, on Saturday morning, the Debbie's and I cleaned the one room schoolhouse in order to get ready for our two day mini-camp on July 14th and 15th, where we will be celebrating the American Girl Dolls! (there was a dead bird in the school, by the way -I don't think it was a victim of the West Nile Virus, but just plain old building entrapment) Here's a picture from a couple of years ago. I believe I'm wrestling some form of prairie vermin or varmint from my hair. Twenty-six young ladies have signed up to attend our two-day jamboree and we are going to have some fun. Can't wait to tell you about it next week!


To help prepare for the camp, I made a trip to the library and checked out every American Girl Doll book they had. One of the ladies who works in the children's section is also named LouAnne, and she likes to say hello to me, because, she says, there are just not very many people named LouAnne - and certainly not any famous people, except maybe LouAnne Pig, and Gomer Pyle's girlfriend, LouAnne Poovie, but anyway, there aren't many positive role models named LouAnne. (although, if I remember correctly, LouAnne Poovie was a pretty hot little number) But back to the point, Children's Librarian LouAnne and I agreed that we loved the American Girl Dolls and we both loved the Little House Books. I told her that my favorite one was Little House in the Big Woods, where they lived so comfortably and cozily with the pumpkins and salted pork in their attic - before Pa dragged them off into the God-forsaken prairie. I never forgave Pa for doing that. I mean, they had family in the big woods. And food! They traded hog butchering day, and straw hat making day, and maple syrup parties at Grandpa's for eating jack rabbits and being worried about wolves, and getting a lousy penny in their stockings for Christmas. I know Laura thought Pa was really clever, and he could play the fiddle and all, but frankly, I think Pa was selfish, and maybe, a loser.






From the Archives: 1972. Bob in his psychedelic army barracks. Bob figures he was at his thinnest in this picture, maybe 175 lbs. On the back of the picture it says: "After we went to the funeral." I don't know who passed away but gosh, I hope he didn't wear those jeans to the service.



Sunday Night Supper: My sister, Lori, and niece, Baleigh, are here for the one room schoolhouse fun, so they were our guests for supper. We served, what has now become our signature summer meal, the chick buns, with salad and rosemary garlic potatoes.
.
.
.

BRETT! DON'T BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
On a melancholy note, my dear friend, Stormy, officially folded up her tent and moved her show to Wilkesbarre, PA. I miss her already
.
.

"I think there should probably be a rule that if you're talking about how many loaves of bread a bullet will go through, it's understood that you mean lengthwise loaves, otherwise, it makes no sense.
Jack Handey

1 comment:

Rachel said...

BigLou, I feel your pain on the 2 hour class without a break. I have a 3 hour class (6-9pm), and he doesn't even let us go to the bathroom! Ahhh! Enjoyed the update! :-)