Sunday, July 20, 2008


Week in Review: Twenty-three American girls brought their American Girl Dolls to the one room schoolhouse on Monday and Tuesday. We embroidered initials onto handkerchiefs, jumped rope, made flower presses, and cracked open geodes. We also made applesauce and lemonade and little sandwiches and ice cream. We had a Victorian luncheon under the trees and even learned some different ways to fold napkins. At the end of the second day, I asked them to pretend they were Kit Kittridge and write a newspaper story about what we did at our mini-camp. We all had fun. This is little Isabelle showing off her handiwork. I'm not sure that she actually sewed a stitch, as she hasn't even been to kindergarten yet, but she certainly looks pleased.




Wednesday was blistering hot, so that morning, Lori and Baleigh and I drove up to the Shipshewana flea market because for some reason, I only go up there and stomp around in that treeless field of never-ending crapola on the hottest day of the summer. Why is that, I wonder? After the flea market trip, they left for Lindsey's house in Indianapolis. I taught my aerobics class at 5:30, then Bob drove me down to Indy and dropped me off at Lindsey's too. We were joined by Megan and the toddler formerly known as the cutest baby in Springfield (Landon). When Bob left he tossed Landon up in the air a little and I thought, ah-oh he's going to scare him. But, I don't think so because after he had gone, Landon kept going to the door and saying "Bye Uncle Bob."
Thursday was another blistering hot day, so, we went to the zoo, of course, because that's another thing I like to do when it's really hot outside. You know, the kind of day when you stagger from exhibit to exhibit looking for the animals, who are all hiding under rocks and bushes and what-not because of the heat. I would say this picture about sums up our trip to the Indianapolis Zoo. Okay, yes, we did see an elephant getting a bath, but how long can you look at that when you are sitting in a little puddle of sweat?? "Oh, look!" I said, "It's the dark and damp scary poisonous spider house. Let's go inside, quickly!"
Landon was a happy boy when we were in the air conditioning. I think he takes after Aunt Lou. We ate lunch downtown at the Weber Grill. He was good as gold.

Is there anything better than........


Daylilies and Purple Coneflowers?


Cleaning the green fuzz out of your birdbath?





Finding a little bird's nest in your window box begonias?

Talking Bob into moving the peonies?

Leaving an overly-ripe peach for your groundhog??????



I think not.




From the Archives: Flower girl, Baleigh, Lindsey, and me at Chad and Megan's wedding in Springfield, just four years ago, June of 2004.






Recipe of the week: We made ice cream twice this past week; for our Victorian luncheon and again at Lindsey's on Thursday. Here we are on Lindsey's porch. I don't know what's up with the Jazz Hands. Here's the recipe.


Ice Cream

6 to 8 junkets, dissolved in a small amount of water

3 cartons Half and Half

2 1/2 cups sugar

6 eggs

1 Tablespoon vanilla

Beat eggs well. Add sugar. Stir in half and half. Add vanilla. Heat to lukewarm. Pour into canister and add junkets. Finish filling canister with milk. Let stand undisturbed for 15 minutes. Freeze in electric or crank freezer.

"If you ever fall off the top of the Sears Tower, just go limp because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you, because, hey, free dummy." Jack Handey

No comments: