Sunday, October 19, 2008

I had to report for jury duty for federal court on Tuesday morning at 7:30 AM. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have minded, but I had promised Sally, months ago, that I would fill in for her at the park department while she was on vacation this week, so I really didn't want to be chosen. Fortunately, I wasn't called to the stand, because the judge was really scrutinizing the questionnaires we had returned, and I, trying to get out of being called, had filled the page with whiny reasons and lame excuses as to why I would not be a suitable juror. I didn't really want to face him - thought he might make a federal case out of it. Ha-ha.

So, I got to fulfill my obligation to Sally at the park department where I learned this:


"You are never more than six feet away from a spider at any given moment."









Earlier in the week, I noticed a lot of squirrel activity in my newly-expanded flower bed at the edge of the woods. I wondered if those pesky scamps were digging up the daffodil bulbs I planted last week, so, Saturday morning I walked back to check the situation out, and I came across this......................................very funky fungi.......I know.



So, you see, dear readers, just when you think you got nothin' for the blog, you stumble across something as interesting as this.


From the Archives: Us, at Emmet and Emily's wedding reception in Cleveland, almost three years ago.

Recipe of the Week: One of the pies I'll be making for this week's class is this rich caramel apple pie. The recipe came from Midwest Living. Hope you like it:

Caramel Apple Pie

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

6 cups, peeled and coarsely chopped Jonathan apples

1/2 cup caramel apple dip

2 teaspoons milk

Topping:

1 cup flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

Line pie pan with crust. For filling, mix sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and cinnamon. Add the apples and toss to coat. Place on crust. Combine 2 tablespoons of the caramel apple dip and 2 Teaspoons milk and drizzle over apples.

In a mixing bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edges of pie with foil to prevent over-browning. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Remove foil toward the end of the baking time. Cool for ten minutes. Pour remaining caramel over the top of the pie.

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid-gold baby? I guess we'll never know." Jack Handey

No comments: