Sunday, October 12, 2008

Out with the geraniums and in with the spiders. It was really warm here today, but we all know it won't last long. Halloween is a comin'. Today, after going to early church, we made the pumpkin topiaries and put the witch hat on the squirrel ( see last October post). I cut back the rest of the perennials and planted some spring bulbs and daylilies. I also made a quick trip to Fort Wayne to find the October Book Babe selection, The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, then I drove home and washed the Jeep, or rather, I started washing the Jeep and Rob intervened......Wonder what he wants.




Bittersweet and gourds










CARE PACKAGE FROM STORMY IN WILKES BARRE
Bob wondered what I was squealing about. Here's what she sent:




If a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
And yet, I'm torn apart
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be kind of human
If I only had a heart.


Stormy found the tin man in a hardware store in Pittston, Pennsylvania and thought I just had to have it. She also sent:



A t-shirt from her new law firm




A store directory for the King of Prussia Mall

Halloween Peeps


Pirate Plates


Stormy and Nick will be coming in two weeks to put storm windows on the house. Can't wait to see them.



I've been working hard, trying to get my last two classes finished, so that I'll have a minor in English, but I've also been easing back into subbing. I taught two days last week, and on Thursday, this one young gentleman stuck his hand right in my face and was rolling something around between his fingers:
"Know what this is?" he asked
"No, what is it?"
"Ear wax."
"Oh, of course, I should have been able to guess that. I just wasn't thinking."




Roxanne keeps the squirrels off of Bob while he naps in the hammock.











Recipe of the Week: I had never had this dish before moving to this area, where I found it to be standard fare at our church dinners. Add some green beans and bread and you've got a great supper, plus enough leftover for lunch the next day, which is something to strive for in these difficult economic times.

Methodist Chicken Casserole
1 chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1 box chicken Stove Top Stuffing

Cook the chicken in your crockpot or bake it in the oven. Bone the chicken and put the meat in the bottom of a greased 9 X 13 glass baking dish. Spread the mushroom soup over the chicken. Prepare the Stove Top according to package directions and spread over mixture. Pour milk over the top. Cover with foil and bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Take foil off about halfway through baking.

"If I was the head of a country that lost a war, and I had to sign a peace treaty, just as I was signing, I'd glance over the treaty and then, suddenly act surprised. 'Wait a minute! I thought WE won!'" Jack Handey

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hahahaha...I'm glad that Dad has a squirrel-watch, now. I've been worried about critters getting on him as he sleeps in the hammock. Fighting critters with critter.

Kickin' It With The Koesters said...

I love that tin man! Is that licorice for the pumpkin spider's mouth? Baleigh and I want to try that!