Sunday, November 23, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving! After much negotiation, it looks like we will travel to Indy and have dinner at Brent and Lindsey's house, and will, hopefully, be joined by some of our Illinois peeps. I'll help Lindsey with the turkey and dressing on Thursday morning, as this will be her first bird, one of the most memorable milestones in a woman's (or man's) life. We'll take pictures.

We've decided to spend the night down there on Thursday and move our BLACK FRIDAY shopping experience to Indianapolis as well. I've composed a little BLACK FRIDAY song here on the blog. It should be sung to the tune of Black Water by the Doobie Brothers.


Black Friday

Well, I've loaded the car and she's ready for shoppin'

Target and Best Buy, they're callin' my name.

Sales clerks a jumpin'

Crazy people keep bumpin'

Into each other as we head down the aisles.

Oh Black Friday, keep on shoppin'

May the Gods of great parking places keep on smilin' on me


I baked another baby shower cake this weekend. The baby's initials will be T.N.T., so they had a dynamite themed shower. The mothers-to-be these days already know if they are having a boy or a girl and have already named the baby by the time they have a shower. What is up with this? Where is the surprise? What happened to the fun of guessing? If you already have two boys and you know number three is also a boy, where is the incentive to push???? I personally think this takes some of the joy away from the whole experience. Ashley - hold your ground. Let it be a surprise.



We all enjoy a fully-dressed turkey at Thanksgiving!







From the Archives: Little Rob runs through the leaves at Pokagon State Park, wearing the sweater that Grandma Darlene knitted for him. (I did not know that he was a boy - I did know that he was big)


Recipe of the Week: Who doesn't love fudge? This maple fudge is yummy, although a little expensive to make - enjoy!

Prizewinning Maple Fudge

1 1/3 cups (1 can) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup nuts

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan except nuts. Simmer slowly, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking mixture, stirring occasionally until it reaches soft ball stage or a temperate of 236 degrees. Cool without stirring to a temperature of 110 degrees, or until mixture just feels warm. Beat until thick, add nuts and pour into butter pie pan. Allow to set.

"Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared." Jack Handey

5 comments:

Kickin' It With The Koesters said...

OMGosh! This is classic! I love your Black Friday song, the fully dressed turkey, AND is there a hint of Lindsey in that Madame DeVille pic? I can see it now! LOL!

Bob and LouAnne said...

Why, yes, come to think of it - that might be Lindsey.

ashley said...

have fun with your thanksgiving/black friday tradition in indy! i personally think lindsey's a brave woman to tackle her first bird. i'm willing to let my parents cook the turkey until they can do it no more! :)

Rachel said...

My co-workers are looking at me funny because I am laughing out loud right now! Love the song!

Lindsey said...

"Cruella DeVille, Cruella DeVille, if she doesn't scare you no evil thing will"

P.S. - Beth still thinks we're shopping with her on Friday because she left me a Facebook note saying she's looking forward to it....:$....waa-waa.