Sunday, November 16, 2008

I almost did not blog at all this week because, I've got nothin' - That's right, no peculiar fungus to report, no musings, reflections, or theories - nuttin.' Oh, we did have an upsetting critter incident in the hood this afternoon. Our neighbors across the road came over and told us that a young deer had jumped the fence into their yard and broken both legs. They called the sheriff's department and were waiting on somebody to come, but, they were very distressed about it. I didn't go over and look, but Bob did. A deputy came and took care of the situation, and the carcass is in their front yard at the edge of the road. I guess somebody will come and pick it up??? I'm also told that Kathi Lee Gifford will be coming to Kendallville in a couple of weeks because East Noble High School is putting on a musical that she wrote, called Key Pin It Real. I worked for Sally at the park department this week, and will be working for her until Thanksgiving. Bob and I were given charge of our granddog, Roxanne from Thursday until Monday, because Candace's family (accompanied by Rob) went to a wedding in Florida. Roxanne is a lap dog. If you're sitting, she'd like to be sitting too, please, on you, if that's alright. Here she is helping Bob with his expense report.



Bob and I did have a discussion about best cartoon characters. He has always liked Foghorn Leghorn, Baloo the Bear, on Jungle Book, and Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. We both really liked Yogi Bear, although, I think my fondness for Yogi might have something to do with his pic-a-nic baskets. And, tell me if I've got this wrong, now, but I'm almost certain it is universally known that the best cartoon episode of all time is..........



KILL DA WABBIT







From the Archives: I'm posting this picture of Lori, Lindsey, and me, taken before the start of the Indianapolis 500 mini marathon a couple of years ago, because if I want to do it again in May, I have to hurry up and register or there won't be any spots left. Thirteen miles. Do I really want to do it? In the picture, I am the only one of us who is wearing the shirt they gave us for the race. I was told that wearing the official shirt is a very dorky thing to do - apparently you're supposed to wear shirts from OTHER races you have competed in (as they are wearing). So, I guess, if I wear this shirt at the 2009 race, I will be cool. So much to worry about.


Recipe of the Week: I got a request from Lindsey this weekend for some recipes. This is one of them. It's rather out of season, as you prepare these on the grill, but, you can fix them in the oven as well.

Blue Cheese Grilled Potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 (4 ounce) package crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
4 medium baking potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
4 small onion, sliced 1/4 inch (about 24 slices))
4 (14 X 12 inch) pieces heavy duty aluminum foil


Prepare grill; heat until coals are ash white. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together butter, blue cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Spread one fourth of butter mixture on cut sides of both halves of each potato. Top one half of each potato with six onion slices. Put each potato back together. Wrap each in aluminum foil; tightly seal top and sides. Place on grill. Grill, turning potatoes every 15 minutes, until they are fork tender. (50 to 60 minutes)

Oven Directions: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare potatoes the same way. Wrap in foil. Place potatoes in a 13 X 9 inch baking pan for 55 to 65 minutes, turning them once, about half way through baking.

"If you see an animal and you can't tell if it's a skunk or a cat, here's a good saying to help: 'Black-and-white, stinks all right. Tabby-colored, likes a fella,"' Jack Handey

1 comment:

Kickin' It With The Koesters said...

I'm gonna have to agree with the "Kill Da Wabbit" episode! My second favorite one is called "Hare Tonic".