Sunday, March 22, 2009

I celebrated my birthday this week with Bob and Gordon Lightfoot. Here we are after his concert. I know, Gordon looks distracted. That's because Bob has just asked him some lame question about Toronto and he's responding to it. The concert was great and his voice sounds really good, considering he's not a young guy and he almost died in 2002. He was in a coma for six weeks , had four surgeries, and a tracheotomy.

"If you could read my mind love
You'd know I'm tired and wanna go back to my hotel
And read a paperback novel
The kind the drugstores sell...
Hmmm hmm hmm hmm hmmm......
And I won't ever be set free
As long as I'm a ghost that these Hoosiers who
donate money to public television can see...."
Hmm hmm hmm


What's the Good Word? The good word this week is actually two words - brouhaha and brohaha. I was mortified to discover that I'd forgotten the u in brouhaha last week, when referring to Bob's luggage incident. After I corrected it, I stumbled across the fact that brohaha is really a word, sort of:

Brohaha: A friendly gathering of bros and only said bros: See brodeo
As in: We need to get some chicks in here because this is a serious brohaha.
Brouhaha: Hubbub, a confused disturbance - a stir or uproar
As in: Bob created a real brouhaha over paying for his luggage.


Here are photos of the cool SWAG Lindsey brought me back from Italy:


From Florence - Statue of David tissues



From Rome - Roman Military Figures



From Sorrento - a great lemon and olive bowl

From Venice - a portfolio for art work



Rob's TIPS for TET: You remember Rob of "rent your spare pair of gym shorts out for a dollar fame." Here's his tip: Go to the car wash and collect the change from the screens in the vacuum cleaners. This can be a lucrative endeavor, possibly garnering as much as thirty dollars (so says Rob) Apparently, before they could drive, he and his friend, Nate, used to ride their bikes to the gas station, get the change, and then try to persuade the clerk inside to sell them cigars. So, there you go. He says he's got a million of 'em - TIPS for TET, that is





Cartoon Maddie is giving out her five-woof congratulatory salute this week to Lindsey for getting an 82 on BEC.









Recipe of the Week: This recipe is from Cook's Country magazine. It's a good way to keep a pork roast moist and the caramelized onions and parsnips are so tasty.

Marmalade-Glazed Pork Roast with Parsnips and Onions
1 boneless pork roast 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges



1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Place pork in center of a large roasting pan and season liberally with salt and pepper.

2. Combine marmalade and rosemary in a bowl. Spread half of the mixture onto the roast. Add orange juice and olive oil to remaining marmalade mixture. Toss parsnips and onions with 2 tablespoons of the mix and season with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables around the pork. Roast until instant-read thermometer (which I don't have) registers 120 degrees, 30 to 45 minutes. Pour remaining marmalade mixture over the roast, increase the oven temp to 450 degrees and roast until thermometer registers 140 degrees, 15 to 20 more minutes.

3. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Toss the veggies and juices to redistribute evenly over the bottom of the pan and roast until juices thicken and vegetables caramelize, about 10 minutes. Slice pork and serve with roasted vegetables, pouring pan juice over meat. Yum.

"Sometimes you have to be careful when selecting a nickname for yourself. For instance, let's say you have chosen the name 'Fly Head.' Normally, you would think that 'Fly Head' would mean a person who has beautiful swept-back features, as if flying through the air. But think again. Couldn't it also mean 'having a head like a fly'? I'm afraid some people might actually think that." Jack Handey



1 comment:

Megan said...

Great SWAG. Ahh...Gordon Lightfoot. My very first time when I was thrown in a classroom to teach all by myself, I had a kindergartener who was a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan. He knew ALL the words to the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. My first day, he asked me, "Miss Cash, do you know which is the biggest of the gweat lakes?" To which I responded, "I'm not sure, but I would guess Lake Superior." I was corrected quickly, " NO. You're WONG! It's Lake Michigan! Aw you even a weal teachew?" Hope that doesn't happen to you at Westview. Know your Great Lakes.