Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week in Review: Good Hans Hunting
I had not seen Hickory Hill Hans since his altercation with Maddie a few weeks ago, so I decided to try and flush him out. On Tuesday I took some carrots and an apple down to his hole to see if he would come out and eat them. The wheel in the picture is the trailer that Rob's jet ski sits on. For some reason it is backed down here in the woods. (This must be annoying to the groundhog). On Wednesday, I went back to the hole and I just happened to take my camera along, which was very fortunate, because THERE HE WAS! He jumped and started to head back down the hole, but then he just sort of froze and hung there. Look. You can even see his little ears . I tried to get a little closer after I took this picture, but he headed down into the hole. I noticed that he had eaten the apple, so I went back to the kitchen and got a few more. When I dropped them by his house, one of them rolled down into the hole. I wondered if it had hit him. I guess you could say it was a pretty slow week here.


And I had some time to compose this:

My Rant Against the Pit Bull (and other mean dogs)
I am so tired of reading and hearing about Pit Bulls attacking people. "7-Year Old Attacked in Cleveland," "Animal Control Officer Hurt in Pit Bull Attack in L.A.," "Baby Mauled by Family Pit Bull in Flint." Now, I know that this is America, and if you want to own a pet that might one day kill you and your loved ones, you have every right to do so, but, honestly: Is a Pit Bull the kind of critter you want curled up at the foot of your bed at night? And, can this dog really be anybody's best friend????


Often, after one of these attacks, somebody will speak out in defense of the Pit Bull and say that this breed is really very loyal and family-friendly, and that all dogs have the capacity to attack. Well I just want to know: When was the last time you read about a jogger being taken down by a pack of Poodles? Never. It wouldn't happen. First of all, no self-respecting Poodle would ever run in a common pack. It's beneath them. And, have you ever heard of anyone being attacked by a Shetland Sheepdog? No. Maddie and her kind want to HERD you, not HURT you.

We must make an effort to keep these mean dogs out of our neighborhoods and away from children, joggers, old people on riding lawn mowers, middle-aged women waiting on the mail man, etc., etc. I PITY THE PIT BULL THAT COMES PUSSYFOOTIN' PAST OUR PROPERTY, because I'm sure Bob would not put out the welcome mat. Thank goodness there are no Pit Bulls in our neck of the woods. Oh, we've got a passel of Pugs, and we've got Shih Tzus out the wazoo, but I've not seen a Pit Bull to date, and folks, let's keep it that way.






From the Archives: Grandpa Robert meets his seventh, and last grandchild, Baby Robert, 1989. Happy Father's Day!






Recipe of the Week: A few years ago, I taught some cooking classes to middle school students and one of the sessions was on "Comfort Foods." They really liked this baked macaroni and cheese. I don't make it very often, but when I have, I've usually paired it up with Julia's Presbyterian Green Bean Bundles. (See 2007 posts) Add some bread and you've got a very filling, and very comforting meal.

Macaroni and Cheese
16 oz box of elbow macaroni
1 stick butter
salt
pepper
8 oz grated mild cheddar cheese
8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz grated Velveeta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 can evaporated milk
paprika

Boil macaroni and drain. Add butter or margarine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese to the macaroni. Add eggs and milk. Sprinkle paprika on top and bake at 350 degrees till browned.



"If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth in your underwear, don't stop and start thinking of what other words have 'under' in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness."
Jack Handey

2 comments:

ashley said...

i went for a run through the ol neighborhood today and was so sad not to be greeted by maddie the amazing barking dog. hope you enjoyed a nice weekend! :)

Rachel said...

I love the detailed account of the groundhog! I have to agree with you on the pit bulls...Charlie the Corgi would never hurt a soul! Now I want mac and cheese.