Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sing your spring song!

Winter, too long!

Daffodils shine on!

Tulips long gone,

because of those durn deer.



Here's a photo of the daffodils blooming in the woods behind the neighbor's house. Lovely. I spent the week teaching poetry to the eighth grade, and I think they REALLY liked my impression of Ethel Merman singing "You're the Top," a song just teeming with metaphors.





Ah, the first visiting toad of the season, seen last night on the front step. This event was followed by the first mouse of the season to run over the top of my foot in the Wal-mart parking lot. (not that this happens very often during the season)










Candace and Rob purchased matching motorcycles last week. Yes, I know. Please pray. Here's Rob with Little Roxanne perched on the back.









From the Archives: An old picture of my brother, Jeff, who celebrated his birthday on the 17th, and once again, is a year older than I am. Each year for about a month, we're the same age, which used to irritate him in the old days. Now, it only irritates me.










Finally, cartoon Maddie gets in on the poetry action by illustrating the use of a simile. Maddie appears on the classroom chalkboard each Friday, barking out something of note or import. The Amazing Barking One, by the way, is limping around here this weekend and is going to see the vet tomorrow to find out why.
Recipe of The Week: The Book Babes met at my house last Tuesday and discussed A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I served the dip that's good enough to eat with cardboard, and this dill dip with vegetables. I don't think I've ever posted it, so, here 'tis.
Dill Dip
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
Mix together and store in the refrigerator until serving. This dip should be made at least several hours before you serve it for proper spice distribution.
"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." Jack Handey

6 comments:

Megan said...

Our blogs have some definite similarities this week....spring flowers and toads and frogs. Huh.

Perhaps I shall list Rob and Candace's safety on my prayer list. Looks dangerous. Roxanne needs a helmet or some type of special seat. Ah...more fuel for the book I will be writing. :)

Bob and LouAnne said...

You are absolutely right. Pray for Roxanne too.

Rachel said...

I like your door mat!

Michael said...

I'm slow - is the Dill Dip the dip that is good enough to eat with cardboard? Or is it a separate dip? I have alotta cardboard laying around here. This would be easier than going to the recycling bin...

Also, did my dad ever smile growing up? He made for a very stoic picture back in the day.

Bob and LouAnne said...

Your dad took his job as leader of the pack very seriously - he had a lot on his shoulders and not much to smile about. No No. The "dip that's good enough to eat with cardboard" is from our second post, back in October of 07. Sorry - you'd have to be a long-time-follower of the blog to get that.

Bob and LouAnne said...

P.S. - The dill dip is good, but not good enough to eat with cardboard, nuh-uh.