Monday, October 19, 2009

I subbed on Friday and sent two kids home sick before 9:00 AM. I thought sure that one of those students was faking, but, of course, allowed her to go see the nurse anyway, who promptly sent her home with a fever. I had my hand on that child's forehead three times. Was it the Swine Flu? To quote another teacher, "Right now, everything's the Swine Flu." Hope I don't get it.







Work continued on the new addition last week. Windows and new door are in and the ceiling is finished. We've moved on to the new siding. Here's a picture taken just moments ago of the guys working on the front. The color is woodland green, a very subtle shade.








On Friday night, Bob and I drove down to Indy to attend the Indiana CPA Society's Annual Banquet with Brent and Lindsey. The theme was "Friday Night Fever," and our favorite part was when the waiters paraded out with the salads, led by some Afro-wigged ladies grooving to disco music. Those crazy accountants. Our Lindsey was recognized for passing the exam this year, as was her friend, Laura. Congratulations girls. The Mad Dog barketh for thee. We spent the night and then Lindsey and I did a little shopping on Saturday at Keystone, where I ripped open my little finger on a straight pin while trying to check the price tag on a wing-back chair at Renovation Hardware, and then was compelled to just abandon our shopping cart and run because of the chaos at Costco. While we having all this fun, Bob puttered around their house, and Brent went to the Purdue game. Darlene joined us Saturday afternoon and we went out to dinner at the Outback. She is on her way to Florida for the winter. Here's a picture of the four of us at the banquet. I know it's fuzzy and that's because I scanned it and then cropped it to eliminate a small fat bulge on my right side. Yes, that's right, I'm that vain.




Book Babes meet this week at Julia's house. I thought you might like to take a look at our 09/10 reading schedule. Here it is, although, I believe that March is subject to change.


September - The Art of Racing in theRain by Garth Stein

October - The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

November - Digging to America by Anne Tyler

December - Christmas Wing-Ding no read

January - South of Broad by Pat Conroy

February - The Help by Kathryn Stockett

March - Being Dead is No Excuse by G. Metcalf & C. Hays

April - The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Schaffer & Barrows

May - Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay

June - The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by K. Howe







If you haven't checked the Snowman Cam recently, you might want to start, as I saw a fox do a drive-by-howdy on there last week. Watch for bears.









I'm the first one to admit that the blog is pretty boring this week. I should tell you that our neighbors have been so kind during our kitchen demolition. Cathy fixed supper for us one night, Monday, I think, and then Rick brought supper over on Wednesday night. We confessed to them that we'd hooked the stove back up so we could cook, but we probably should have just remained mum on the subject to see what other tasty goodies might come our way. Thanks, you guys. I did make some popcorn balls on Sunday afternoon. I have to be careful eating them though - don't want to lose any more crowns (see April post). I used this recipe and doubled it.



Popcorn Balls

7 cups popped corn

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup white syrup
dash or two of salt
1/4 cup butter

Bring ingredients to a rolling boil. Cook to softball stage. Remove from heat and pour over popcorn.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

My mom is in a book club, and she loved The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society.

Bob and LouAnne said...

I'm looking forward to it.

ashley said...

did you konw they now make banana tootsie pops?!? i'm all for the choc ones but i cannot do the banana!

Bob and LouAnne said...

bleh

Suzanne said...

Being Dead is No Excuse is wonderful! It's "read out loud" funny and a great recipe book as well. I highly recommend it.