Sunday, December 27, 2009

The stockings are left hanging, empty again. Christmas 2009 has come and gone. (insert big mournful sigh here). In the old days, I would perk myself up by going right out and buying valentines, but for some reason, valentines just don't have the appeal that they once did. Hmmm. Well, just to recap the holiday, Bob and I were alone on Christmas Eve. We went to the 11:00 PM service at church, and although it was icy again this year, I did not fall down in the parking lot. On Christmas Day, Rob and Candace, Brent and Lindsey, and Brent's parents, Larry and Diane, all joined us for dinner. We had a beef tenderloin, the apple/walnut/dried cherry salad with maple dressing, twice baked potato casserole, carrot souffle, melt in your mouth yeast rolls and for dessert, creme brulee and carrot cake. Also, Diane contributed a delicious sweet potato dish and some cranberry muffins to the meal. Recipes can be found on past blog posts. After we ate, we opened our gifts. For me, it was the year of cameras and purse holders. Not only did I receive a power shot camera, I also got a cool pix one. Maria Sharipova or Ashton Kutscher - so hard to choose. I guess I'm going with Ashton. You'll notice that I'm experimenting with it here on this Christmas post. I'm not very good with technology.





I'd say that getting two cameras is proof of the following: 1. My family isn't communicating very well when it comes to what to buy for good ol' Mom, and 2. They really all must have been truly horribly embarrassed by my old camera - often referred to as "The Zack Morris Camera." I know it was big, but I understood how it worked.








I didn't even know what a purse holder was and I received two of them. Lucky for me, my dear friend, Stormy, gave me a new purse. And now I'll have something attractive to hang it on. Here's a picture of them. One of them is Lindsey's.










It looks like Brent is really pleased with this new shirt we gave him. That's his dad, or rather, half of his dad on the right.











Rob and Candace are engrossed in the unwrapping of their gifts.













The pups also enjoyed getting together for the holiday. Here, Bob helps Little Roxanne show off her Christmas attire.....










..... snow falls on the Amazing Barking Dog, who also celebrated a birthday on Boxing Day, the 26th. She turned ten. H.B. Maddie.











...and Bonnie, the Barbarian was so tired from Christmas frolicking, that she just couldn't keep her eyes open for euchre.






























How about a Recipe of the Week? This very rich dessert is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Heritage Meals and Menus. It's pretty heavy-duty stuff. The caramel sauce is delicious.
Chocolate Caramel Truffle Torte
Crust
1 & 3/4 cups very finely chopped pecans
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
Filling
16 ounces high quality semi-sweet real chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 cups whipping cream
Caramel Sauce
3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
Garnish
1 & 1/3 cups whipping cream, whipped
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl, stir together all crust ingredients & firmly press on bottom and up sides of 12-inch tar pan with removable bottom. Place on cookie sheet & bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. In a 2-quart saucepan, cook 2 cups of whipping cream over medium heat until just comes to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate until set (2 hours). Twenty minutes before serving, combine all caramel sauce ingredients (except whipping cream) in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat, cool 5 minutes, then stir 2/3 cup whipping cream into sauce. Garnish torte with whipped cream and serve with warm caramel sauce.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your Christmas post. I just found you and thought I'd stop in. Enjoyed my visit. We had a Shelty named Maggy for 15.11 years. She was the best dog we ever had and your photo brought back some nice memories. I like your nice long dining room table! That's what I need for our growing family! Hope you have a Happy New Year!...debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lou, thanks for stopping in to visit. The house you see in my header is our mountain house. It's about 3 hours from where we live. It's located at the bottom of Snow Shoe Ski Resort in Snowshoe, WV. We don't ski. We just loved the area because it's out in the middle of nowhere. We go there for peace and quiet. I get up there much more than Bob. I love it up there. It's in Pocahontas County, WV....God's Country!!...debbie