Sunday, December 6, 2009

On a late-August day in 1986, I pried this little punkin' out of my car and trotted her up to the door of Kox Kiddie Kollege, which was the name of a preschool in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. She didn't want to go. She didn't ever really want to go. She never really liked school. However, she was a co-valedictorian of her senior class and she went on to Manchester College and earned undergrad degrees in both economics and accounting. And this summer, she passed her last CPA exam (of course, you already knew that). And on Tuesday, this punkin will attend her last class before securing an MBA. After 23 years of school, you are finally done, Sugar Pie. How does it feel?











Lindsey - Ask not for whom the "Mad" Dog barks. She barks for thee. Here's your five-woof salute:



Woof, woof. Woof, woof woof.









In an effort not to irritate the hairdressers or cart ladies at Wal-mart, I devised this clever (or maybe lame) noiseless Salvation Army Bell. I did some slow-ringing. I did some fast and furious ringing, and nobody seemed to mind. One of the store managers passed by me and said "Here I thought I was just doing a good job of tuning it out." I made about four times more money with this bell than I think I would have with the real thing.









We are all looking forward this week to Landon's last chemo treatment and also to the birth of his baby brother or sister on Wednesday. Big week for the Kutscher's. We love you and we're thinking about you.




Recipe of the Week:

I used to make these biscuits in my early days of catering breakfasts, especially before I switched over to the cake mix cinnamon rolls. They are really good biscuits, and made even better when you serve them with strawberry butter, which is just made by mixing softened butter with a little powdered sugar and fresh, or thawed frozen strawberries. This recipe came from Borgman's Bed and Breakfast in Arrow Rock, Missouri.




Angel Biscuits


1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (115 degrees)
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Mix together all dry ingredients; work in the shortening. Add the buttermilk, and yeast water mixture and mix well. Place in a greased pan; chill. Use as desired. Makes 2 1/2 dozen biscuits.

No comments: