Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers, grandmas, and wanna-be moms out there. I had a wonderful Mother's Day because my children went with us down to Roanoke to enjoy a delicious lunch at Joseph Decuis restaurant. Lindsey and Brent came up from Indy, and Brent's parents, Larry and Diane, drove over from Lafayette. Rob came along too, but Candace had to work. Bob and Rob had the rack of lamb, Larry and Diane had the Maryland scallops, and Brent, Lindsey and I ordered the Wagyu beef with barbecue sauce, greens, and sweet potato puree. Wagyu beef is the restaurant's home-grown version of Kobe beef. Delicious! Rob gave me a gift certificate for a pedicure and Lindsey and Brent gave me a hanging basket. It was a great day. I, as usual, forgot to bring a camera, but here's a picture that Diane took of half of the table - the half with me and my two cupcakes.





Just a couple of side notes from last week: Yes, I did weenie out on the mini-marathon. I just didn't have the energy, but Lindsey finished that marathon in 2 hours and 35 minutes and Brent's time was 1 hour and 35 minutes. So from Maddie to you guys - Woof, woof, woof, woof, woof. Also, about my missing crown dilemma - my dentist said that it truly was a dental emergency, if ever there was one. And, Lori and Dan, were at Carbondale High School last Friday when that inland hurricane went through the area. Winds reached a speed of 106 miles per hour. Power lines were down everywhere and kids had to stay at school until parents could get there to pick them up. Some stayed as late as seven o'clock, I believe. Anyway, Dan and Lori's house was not damaged, but they have no power and are in Effingham tonight. They don't know when, or even, if, they'll get back to school to finish up the year.




Speaking of school, The Diary of Anne Frank is moving right along. I couldn't find a fur coat for Mrs. Van Daan, but my neighbor, Cathy, had these two minks that clipped together and we've been using it, instead. In one class, I have only four girls, so boys have to assume the roles of ladies. I asked one big strapping lad to play the part of Mrs. Van Daan, and he really embraced the role, insisting that he be Mrs. Van Daan throughout the entire play. He is hilarious, and makes me laugh and laugh. Here's Bob modeling the minks, and wondering why he's being asked to do this.

Also, I had a flat tire this week because I drove over a horseshoe nail - one of the hazards of teaching in an Amish area.

Recipe of the Week: I love to fix this dilled chicken salad and serve it on croissants. It's kind of an iffy recipe. I would advise you just to experiment with it until you get the desired taste. It's always best to let it sit in the refrigerator for a day or so before serving. And do remember that mayonnaise and Miracle Whip ARE NOT THE SAME THING. So, if a recipe calls for mayo, you should use real mayo, darn it. not salad dressing, (which is Miracle Whip)

Dilled Chicken Salad

4 cups chicken
3 green onions, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dill weed
2/3 cup MAYONNAISE

Mix together and store in fridge until serving time.


\

"Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because, what is that thing?" Jack Handey

No comments: