Sunday, May 24, 2009

So, after teaching step aerobics at the Y for fourteen years, I've decided to throw in the towel, so to speak. This Wednesday evening will be my last class, and I'll be looking for new fitness opportunities. Several of us Biggest Loser Buddies have decided to try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred program. The idea is to maximize your workout and get big results in a minimum amount of time - only twenty minutes a day!


I'm telling you this because it's leading up to a rant. I know I haven't ranted about anything in a long time (maybe not since the evils of the Pitbull and other mean dogs) but I feel the need to rant and my ire, this time, is directed at Barnes and Noble. That's right, Barnes and Noble, a VERY LARGE bookstore. You see, I wanted to give all of my longtime step aerobic peeps a 30 Day Shred DVD, as a parting gift. They were very reasonably priced online, but I knew I'd have to expedite the shipping to get them here on time, with the holiday and all, so I decided to drive into Fort Wayne and buy them at a BIG bookstore, such as Barnes and Noble. I told the clerk there what I was looking for and she took me right to them and handed me one. I told her I needed several more than that, and she said "Oh, we only have this one, but I can order them for you."

"No, thanks," I said, "I can order them myself."
Then I walked back to the children's department because I wanted to buy a certain somebody a boxed set of books for her birthday.

The clerk told me she would have to check to see if they had it in stock. This was right after she told the woman in front of me that they didn't have what she wanted either.

"We don't have that boxed set in the store," she told me, "BUT, we can order it for you."


"Well, I can order it myself. This same thing just happened to me over in the DVD section," I whined. They only had one copy."

"Oh, ma'am. We only carry one copy of most everything. We just don't have the room to store them all."

So, I drove over to Target and got all the 30 Day Shred DVD's I needed. And for you Barnes and Noble, Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog remains completely mute. Good grief!







From the Archives: Blonde cousins Megan and Lindsey in May of 1985. Last Thursday, Megan turned 30 and next week, Lindsey will be 26. Happy Birthday girls!




Recipe of the Week: Stormy came through and mailed me this recipe. I fixed it for supper tonight. It's low in fat and good for you, if you follow the recipe. I, of course, will not allow low-fat mayonnaise in this house, but each to his or her own.

Stormy's Favorite Chicken and Spinach Casserole

2 cups cooked, skinless chicken breasts - diced

1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained

1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (whatever)

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Light coat an 8 inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Combine spinach and chicken prepared dish. Whisk together remaining ingredients. Add about 1/4 of the mixture to the chicken and spinach; mix well and spread evenly in the pan. Top with remaining mixture and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until top is nicely browned.

"Probably the biggest fear of a pharaoh was being mummied alive." Jack Handey

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember those two cutie pie girls like it was yesterday!

I got the same runaround from Barnes & Noble here! We are heading to Target this afternoon!