Sunday, November 29, 2009

Well, it was one busy week what with subbing, and covering for the body toning class and going to a literacy workshop, and trying to recruit Salvation Army Bell Ringers. And on Tuesday night, I was throwing utensils and towels and pots and pans back into the kitchen drawers and cabinets at break-neck speed, so I could make pies on Wednesday night. Somehow, we were able to put the kitchen back together well enough to host a Thanksgiving dinner - although I have to confess that the pumpkin pies I donated for the church Thanksgiving dinner were from the grocery store. I know. People would be shocked and disappointed. I was teaching that day and I asked Bob to wear a disguise and just leave them in the church narthex and run, but I don't know if he did that or not. Here's Bob carving the bird which he declared to be"very juicy."









Nick took this picture as well as the one below. Please note that Stormy is wearing a dress recommended by the dress club, although she had it shortened.









These next photos I "lifted" from Lindsey's blog and I'm sure she won't mind because I was a little too busy to be taking pictures and they're such great shots of the kids: Brent and Lindsey (with unfinished wall behind them) and.....







...Candace and Rob....

And tired pups, Maddie, the Amazing Barking Dog, and Bonnie the Barbarian
.









We were up at 3:15 the next morning for Black Friday shopping. Yes. Stormy, Lindsey, and I rounded up the sale fliers, although I swear we must have made two piles of fliers - the "take withs "and the "leave at homes," and I picked up the leave at home pile because we never seemed to have what we were looking for. Plus, it was windy and our Macy's ten-dollar coupon blew right out of the car and Lindsey had to chase it in the parking lot. Our motto for the morning was "Aggressive but Friendly," and I'm thinking maybe next year we'll have that motto printed on the back of some matching sweatshirts. Wouldn't that be fun? But no antlers, we draw the line at antlers. We saw some women wearing antlers at JoAnn's Fabrics, but they looked angry. I think if you've got antlers on your head, you'd better look like you're having a good time or it isn't going to work and you're just going to look stupid. I didn't last very long that day and had to come home and take a nap. In fact, I haven't been worth a hoot this whole weekend.













Recipe of the Week: Some recipes are just classic and this is one of them. You can't go wrong with a lemon bar. They're quick, easy, and you most always have the ingredients on hand. The flaky, shortbread-like crust nicely compliments the lemon filling. Everybody loves lemon bars!!



Lemon Bars


2 sticks of butter


2 cups flour


1/2 cup powdered sugar


4 beaten eggs


2 cups sugar


4 tablespoons flour


1/4 cup lemon juice


1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel


sifted powdered sugar


Heat oven to 325 degrees. Blend butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Pat into ungreased 9 X 13 pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. For filling blend together eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel. Pour over first layer and bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Loosen around edges, cut into bars and sift confectioner's sugar over the top while warm.


Finally, a picture of Bob reading the newspaper at the new table and waiting for me to say it's okay to eat the lemon bars.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Your new dining room looks excellent!